St Cuthbert’s 2022-2030
vision and strategic direction
St Cuthbert’s is 107 years old, with a powerful legacy of excellence in all areas of girls’ education. Our alumnae past and present are confident, resilient, and compassionate leaders, and as we look to build on that legacy, our vision is to Make Girls Amazing.
Launched in August 2019, the statement Making Girls Amazing captures our focus on delivering the very best, well-rounded education, to grow the next generation of women leaders and change makers.
Making Girls Amazing is the commitment we make to our parents and our students. It is about teaching for the future, reflecting our approach to support every student to be happy and to fulfil her potential.
At the heart of Making Girls Amazing is our dedicated team of teachers and staff, who develop every dimension of our students, preparing them for the futures they choose, unlocking their dreams, and providing them every opportunity to discover what makes them amazing.
Our vision is underpinned by five core principles:
Teaching for the future
Deliver a holistic curriculum which is intellectually rigorous and challenging.
Socially responsible Leaders
Develop young women to be inclusive, compassionate, and engaged Global Citizens.
Her mind, body and spirit
Grow young women to be resilient, and to approach new challenges and experiences with optimism and determination.
Foster a dynamic, supportive and inclusive culture to attract and retain the very best staff.
Create future focussed facilities which are responsive to our students’ changing needs.
Teaching for the future
DELIVER a holistic curriculum which is intellectually rigorous and challenging
- At St Cuthbert’s, excellence is about achieving her personal best, and we support every girl to fulfil her potential, and to unlock her creativity and critical thinking.
- Our rigorous and leading Knowledge Rich School approach to teaching, with its conceptual framework from Years 0-13, supports every student to develop a strong desire for intellectual growth.
- St Cuthbert’s students are encouraged to develop every dimension of themselves through the very best pastoral care and resilience programmes, including expansive opportunities in sport, cultural activities, the performing arts, and our unique Kahunui campus experience.
- Our girls are given the skills to be confident, independent explorers, with the ability to problem solve, and to challenge themselves in their learning.
- Our dedicated teachers form strong bonds with our students, going the extra distance to help them discover their unique strengths, and supporting them to push boundaries with their learning.
- St Cuthbert’s teachers embrace technology and digital innovation to enhance subject depth, developing students’ connection to one another and to the world.
- We forge strong connections with leading universities and institutes globally to stay at the forefront of research and educational best practice, while retaining our special traditions and the rigorous academic foundations on which our legacy is built.
Socially responsible leaders
DEVELOP young women to be inclusive, compassionate, and engaged Global Citizens.
- St Cuthbert’s students understand that humanity has a common story, and that we are all connected to one another. Through our leadership programmes, students develop the skills, self-confidence, and empathy to work collaboratively and use their voice to affect change.
- By living our College Motto ‘By Love Serve’ students learn real leadership is about service to others, and a belief in something beyond themselves. They understand the power of humility and how great things can be achieved when no one seeks the credit.
- St Cuthbert’s young women embrace diversity of background, thought, culture, identity, and belief to enrich their world view. They act with compassion, integrity, and respect to have a positive impact on the world.
Her mind, body and spirit
GROW young women who are resilient, and who approach new challenges and experiences with optimism and determination.
- At St Cuthbert’s, we know that students learn best when they are happy. Our girls develop a deep understanding of who they are, and how to nurture themselves and one another through a world class, holistic, approach to wellbeing.
- They develop their inner-confidence, adaptability, and strength of character to lead happy and successful lives. Our well-rounded approach to education ensures they have courage and determination, and the skills to build positive and fulfilling relationships.
- Our strong resilience, pastoral care, and co-curricular programmes support our students to really know their strengths, and to develop strategies to support their wellbeing in times of opportunity and adversity.
- Through our strong and connected community and alumnae, St Cuthbert’s students benefit from inspiring role models at every level of their development. They know they are a part of a very special global network of women, for life. Their deep acceptance of who they are, and sense of belonging, empower them to try new things, and to reach their potential.
FOSTER a dynamic, supportive, and inclusive culture to attract and retain the very best staff.
- Our staff are at the heart of our vision ‘Making Girls Amazing’. St Cuthbert’s attracts and retains the very best experts in their fields, who contribute positively to our culture and our continued success as an academic centre of excellence.
- We provide a caring, diverse and inclusive culture, supporting our staff to feel valued and celebrated in our College community.
- Growing our staff through clear career path progression, mentoring opportunities, and continuous learning, both in New Zealand and internationally, foster a culture to drive innovation, new ideas and different ways of thinking and teaching.
- We encourage collaboration, consideration of others, excellence, and diversity of thought, which contributes to a thriving culture, and demonstrates our motto ‘By Love Serve’ to our students.
CREATE future focussed facilities which are responsive to our students’ changing needs.
- Our leading facilities support the development of every dimension of our students, and our ambitious 20-year campus planning will continue to build on our rich heritage, to support our vision and strategy of ‘Making Girls Amazing’.
- The staged development will respond to the future, and will be focussed around the academic, social, physical, creative, and spiritual needs of our students.
- Through the development of new, and dynamic spaces, our teaching environment will encourage collaboration and innovation, catering for both class and small groups, and support individual research projects, and diverse learning needs.
- With a strong focus on environmental sustainability, our campus planning will deliver a harmonious landscape, with green spaces, outdoor play and meeting areas, and sun safe corners for seating, fostering our students to develop strong connections to one another.
Meet our Board
St Cuthbert’s is governed by a Board of Trustees whose major role is to oversee strategic planning for the school.