Year 7-13 Athletics – Mt Smart Stadium

Published February 16, 2024

Building a sense of belonging:  The importance of our Houses  
Ensuring our students feel connected to the school and to one another is an integral part of our offering. We strongly believe that for students to learn at their best, and to reach their potential, they need to be relaxed and happy, and to really know that they belong. 

Our Houses play an important role in daily life at the school, with every student belonging to a House when she first starts her St Cuthbert’s journey; the feeling of pride and allegiance to their House continues right through her life as an Old Girl. The sense of pride our students have in their Houses was very much on display at our first Year 7-13 athletics day held this week. Students sat with their Houses, making new friends and connections, and for our new students and staff, it was a fantastic and fast way to get to know everyone! 

It was great to see so many students wearing their House colours, and inspiring our younger girls to see some of our very talented senior athletes competing. Seeing all our Senior School together at athletics was a wonderful first event to start the year with and left our students and staff really buzzing.    

Our new Head Girl Anita lese, shared, “Belonging to a House provides us with an opportunity to meet girls from across year levels, and the connections I formed within my House truly helped me find my feet when I first joined St Cuth’s. I love York, and getting involved competitively during all our house events! There is such a range of opportunities on offer at the school; and I truly believe that the more you put into school, the more it will give back to you. I would encourage every girl to really get in behind their House, and give new things a go.”