Melrose was a grand house on the McCrystal property that the Trust Board purchased in 1923. Its origins dated back to 1874 when it was the home of Major Nelson George and known as “Wapiti.” Architect VL Moses drew up plans to repurpose it for senior girls’ boarding, with accommodation for the principal. In 1986, Melrose was demolished and a new hostel facility – also called Melrose – was opened in 1987.

Pictured above: The McCrystal (former Wapiti) Homestead. This was later known as Melrose House, acquired by the Board in 1923. The photograph was taken in 1940, prior to the veranda being infilled. Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, 42684F

Pictured above: Plan of ground floor, 1st floor, elevations and section, McCrystal Residence – to become known as Melrose Hostel from the Moses Holman Collection ex Auckland University MH58.
See also: