In 1925, Elgin and Dunblane were new purpose-built boarding hostels for junior and middle school boarders. The third hostel, Melrose, was a grand house on the McCrystal property that the Trust Board had purchased in 1923. Its origins dated back to 1874 when it was the home of Major Nelson George and known as “Wapiti.” Architect VL Moses drew up plans to repurpose it for boarding for senior girls with accommodation for the principal. In 1986 Melrose was demolished and a new hostel facility also called Melrose was opened in 1987.

Pictured above: A Garden Fete, organised by the girls of Dunblane Hostel, 1943.

Pictured above: Tug-of-War competition between the boarding houses, 1931.
Melrose Boarding Hostel
The new Melrose Hostel was designed by Auckland architectural firm Sinclair and Associates. It was officially opened on St Cuthbert’s Weekend in 1987 by David Ellis, Trust Board Chair, and dedicated by the Very Rev. OT Baragwanath.
Built around a courtyard, with single and double bedrooms, with a kitchen and BBQ areas, there was a self-contained flat for the Director of Boarding, a common room and a lounge.
A feature of the lounge is the ‘Window of Memories’ designed by Pat Hanly which resulted from donations by Old Girl’ boarders from 1955-1965.
See also: