Opened on 27 February 1998, built to the design of Warren and Mahoney, the Information Centre links the Robertson, Jean Hunter, Link and Rhodes buildings as well as Clouston Hall. It includes the Joan Holland Auditorium, named after Principal Joan Holland 1969-1989, and the Frances Crompton Senior Library, named after Principal Frances Compton 1989-1996.

6.1 The Artwork Collection
The Atrium includes many works from the College’s art collection. Diane McKissock was appointed Head of the Visual Art Department in 1991 and was charged with the responsibility of building a teaching collection of contemporary New Zealand art for the College. Prior to that, the art collection was made up of donated works; Sir Henry Lindo Ferguson and the Trotter family had been early benefactors. Two works, Frances Hodgkins’ A Musical Evening and Marte Szirmay’s Maze, were donated by the Parents’ Association in 1965 and 1975 respectively; these formed the foundations of the early collection.

Greer Twiss d. 2025 Empire Cartage Co.
Greer Twiss 1937 – 2025 Greer a significant New Zealand artist has several treasured works in our St Cuthbert’s collection. Greer was a remarkable practitioner and teacher who had a wonderful connection with the College over three decades. Many in our community will be familiar with Greer’s work Empire Cartage Co, more commonly referred to as ‘Queen Victoria’, which sits in the heart of our Atrium at St Cuthbert’s College. This piece is one of three works of his in our collection. Over the years, students have studied his works and had the privilege of visiting his studio.
6.2 The St Cuthbert’s College Trust Board
The years of service and dedication of past Board Chairs and Trustees is recorded outside the Board Room in the Atrium foyer.
James Robertson, Dr. Robert Beattie, A. J. Entrican, Matthew Clark, John Fleming, Thomas Peacock and John Reid were the founders of the College late in 1914. They formed a company, the Auckland Presbyterian College for Ladies Ltd., with the intention to
- “establish, maintain and carry on in the Provincial District of Auckland a college where girls may obtain a sound intellectual and moral education,
- where provision shall be made for non-sectarian religious instruction for all scholars and special provision for religious instruction in a form in accordance with the teaching of the Presbyterian Church, for all Presbyterian scholars and for others with their parents’ consent where full facilities shall be granted for the boarders of other denominations to attend their respective places of worship.
- in connection with such college or colleges to provide kindergarten teaching for boys and girls.”
Each of the seven signatories took shares, became directors, and asked Rev GB Monro to join them as a Director of the Board. Shares of one shilling each were issued to give the board working capital, a deposit was paid to the Misses Bews for their Mt Eden College, a prospectus put out, and a principal, Miss Isobel Macdonald, was appointed. The new college official opening on 1 February 1915.
The St Cuthbert’s College Educational Trust was established in 1940 with the aim of assuming control and management of the college from the company. This would greatly reduce the tax burden and local body rates, as well as freeing funds for college use. A trust fund was established, and several directors donated their shares in the former college company; the trust fund also made it easier to accept gifts and bequests. The company directors of 1940 became the trustees, and three years later the Auckland Presbyterian College for Ladies Limited was wound up.
See also: