Opened on 14 December 1955 by and named after Miss Lavinia Clouston who was principal from 1921-1948. The Hall was dedicated to hold services before the Chapel was built in 1993. In 1990 a mezzanine floor was added, the foyer was enlarged and it included a room for the Trust Board. Pictured below is the first school assembly held in the new Clouston Hall, 1955.

Clouston Hall in 1962, pictured below

8.1 Principals Gallery
You can view photographs as well as the commemorative board for the principals of St Cuthbert’s College in the foyer of Clouston Hall
8.2 Old Girls’ Association

The first Principal, Miss Isobel Macdonald, saw the benefits of a close association between past and present pupils and was instrumental in forming the Old Girls’ Association in 1917. Reunions, connection, fundraising and acts of service have been key elements of the Old Girls’ Association, and the school is a living reminder of the support of the Old Girls over the many years. Past Presidents of the Old Girls’ Association are honoured on a Board in Clouston Hall Foyer. Recipients of the Old Girls Association awards are honoured on a board outside the board room in the Atrium Foyer and also in the ground floor corridor of the Robertson Building.
8.3 Parents & Friends’ Association
Past Chairs of the Parents and Friends’ Association are honoured on a commemorative board in the foyer of Clouston Hall.
Since the college’s earliest days, parents of the pupils have shown a great interest in its welfare. During early influenza epidemics, mothers helped by taking in sick boarders or nursing girls in the hostels. Parents have always been ready to assist the school in any way and in 1947 a Parents’ Association held its first meeting. Although fundraising for the new hall was its major task, it contributed in smaller ways to the school’s benefit, like providing the labour to erect netting around the tennis courts.
Several building projects at the College have been assisted financially by the Parents & Friends’ Association. The College’s Trust Board offered to subsidise, pound for pound, any money the Association raised towards Clouston Hall and this provided almost half the funds.
By 1959, the Sports Pavilion had been built with Parents’ Association funds and assistance. It provided money for the gymnasium in 1962 and helped fund the new pool complex. Among extras it has given to the college are furnishing for the Hall, cameras, music and sports equipment, computers, berths on the Spirit of Adventure and Spirit of New Zealand as well as places on the Outward Bound course.
A large round window in the Chapel is the gift of the Parents & Associates, as the Parent’s Association became known in the early 1970s.
It began operating a second-hand uniform shop in 1970, providing both a service to the parents and funds for the College. For the 50th Jubilee, the Association gave the college a piece of fine art, “A Musical Evening” (then called “The Pianist”) by Frances Hodgkins. The Association has provided other art works for corridors and classrooms, as well as a sculpture in the college grounds.
While being good fundraisers, many of the Association’s activities have the added benefit of bringing parents together. An annual summer barbecue was a firm favourite, enjoyed by students and their families, Old Girls and staff. Fashion parades, celebrity debates, trivial pursuit evenings and so many more engaging events have all been enjoyable fundraisers; with an auction held jointly with the Old Girls’ Association contributing well to the Chapel appeal. The Parents and Friends’ Association includes the Asian Friendship Group which was established in 2007.
8.4 Clouston Hall Banners
In 1990, 6th Form practical art class were asked to design and paint banners which reflected their interpretation and development of a theme surrounding the Celtic Cross. These cross forms are the basis of the crest of the St Cuthbert’s College, itself a unique blend of the ancient Iona Cross and the Cross of St Cuthbert.
The students produced six banners, in three pairs, on the theme of Celtic Cross with a Pacific influence, as well as the Celtic Cross and the College Crest. The Trust Board decided to use the theme and create a collection of permanent banners for Clouston Hall to commemorate the 75th Jubilee of College. Weaver, Ian Spalding, was commissioned to design and weave the banners and they were installed in 1992, an example of which is shown below.

See also: