The Cottage was originally part of the classrooms known as The Upper School at Stokes Road, Mt Eden. It appears on a 1924 plan for the portion of classroom which was being moved to Market Road to become a “proposed cottage for the grounds man” In 1927 it was converted into “The “San” short for sanatorium which was a place where boarders who were unwell would go to be looked after. In 1966 a new sick bay was built next to the Violet Wood Dining Room and “The San” reverted to being a cottage, for the caretaker. Known as The Cottage since 2001, it has been a residence for GAP tutors, a learning centre, used for Junior School reception classes and most recently the Junior School Library.
Now home to the Smith Gray Library for the Junior School, the Cottage was reopened, following refurbisment, at the College’s 100th anniversary on Epsom Campus on 28 April 2025 by Hon. Brooke Van Valden, Minister of Internal Affairs, an Old Girl who graduated in 2010. The Cottage is the sole survivor of several buildings that were moved from Stokes Road, Mount Eden in 1924. The Smith Gray Library was established in 1972 and is named after Mr Alfred Smith Gray, a Trust Board member from 1950-1973, and Trust Board Chair from 1967-1969. The image below shows the Cottage in its original location, where it was the Upper School Classroom on Stokes Road, Mt Eden (pre 1925).

Pictured below: Plan of Shelters & Piano Rooms, New Laundry and Proposed Caretakers Cottage St Cuthbert’s College [Epsom] c1924 31 008 Moses Holman Collection ex Auckland University MH58

Pictured below: Nurse Shand outside the Sanatorium c1927

See also: